Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

I newly purchased a rental property the closing date was on

I newly purchased a rental property the closing date was on September 1. Then I found out the tenant paid previous owner September’s rent on August 29. How can I get my rent back from the previous owner? Any extra cost?
Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

Were you told about this ahead of time?

Was anything about rent put into the offer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I think the rent after closing date should belong to me (the new landlord), but the tenant paid September's rent several days earlier (so it went to old landlord's pocket).

There is no doubt that it should go to you as should last month's rent which the former owner must also have.

This should have been dealt with in the offer and in the closing documentation.

At this point I suggest that you have your lawyer contact the former owners lawyer demanding that you be reimbursed for these funds.

If they will not agree then I suggest you simply sue them in Small Claims Court.

You can self-represent and if you find you need some help as you go through the process you can post on this site again and I can assist you further.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.