Law.Hut, Lawyer
Experience:  with over 15 years experience.

Is streaming movies through xbmc illegal in Canada?

Is streaming movies through xbmc illegal in Canada? Is the sale of hardware with xbmc loaded on the hardware illegal?

No, these are not illegal with Canadian law.

Viewing a streaming movie does not create a copy of that movie or put it on to any new medium, which are The actions required to potentially violate copyright law in Canada.

There is nothing illegal with the XBMC software and it has many perfectly legal uses. That it could potentially be used to try and access copyrighted works does not make it illegal to own the software or to sell any hardware with this software on it.

I am not aware of any case where a person or company has faced prosecution or a civil claim for either of these issues.

I hope this is helpful. You can still ask follow up questions, if you wish.