Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

I found out after I moved in that the suite I am living in

I found out after I moved in that the suite I am living in is an "illegal suite" as it was not approved by the town. I am working for a non-profit organization, so two questions.
1) Am I bound to the agreement we signed?
2) Since the non-profit organization is helping with my living expenses, is this putting their status as non-profit at risk?
Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

You are bound by the agreement. Whether the landlord is in breach of by-laws or not isn't really an issue for you unless you made it clear you wanted to be sure he/she was and the lease says the landlord warrants the unit is in compliance with all by-laws etc.

This is not putting anyone but possibly the landlord at risk.

This is nothing you or your agency has to be concerned about.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just a quick question clarification, do I have the legal responsibility to report their illegal suite? He has requested that I pay cash as to not attract attention, so I want to know what my obligations are.

You don't have any responsibility like that at all.