Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

If you volunteer for a position on an Executive can you be

If you volunteer for a position on an Executive can you be held responsible for a large debt that occurred before you took office??
Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

Is this a corporation?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no this is not a Corporation. It is the Royal Canadian Legion

When someone contracts on behalf of the Legion how is that done?

Are they signing personally or on behalf of the Legion?

Can someone donate money to the Legion?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

all the executive is voted in by all the members for office. They are not signing any documents to make them accountable for the funds raised by the members. It is run like a business with books being kept and meeting being held. All funds are deposited into the bank and cheques are written against the account. the past executive swindled a lot of money which never made it to the bank. If we had the charter over to Dominion Command and bury the charter we want to be sure the present excutive will not be responsible for the monies missing. the police are going to charge the past executive with fraud.

There is no reason to think anyone who comes into the executive would be liable for the theft/fraud of a past director.

And unless you personally sign for something or commit fraud as a director you would not be liable for any debts.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.