Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

Boating in Ontario not having boating license on person, but

Boating in Ontario not having boating license on person, but had left it at home. How can I fight this $305.00 ticket.

Can you tell me the Act and section number that is referred to on the ticket?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

fail to have proof of competency on board a pleasure craft.

Competency of operators of pleasure craft regulations, Canada Shipping Act 200 sect 3 (1)(b)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Canada shipping act 200 sect. 3(1)(b)

Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

Does the ticket (shown on the back) allow to plead, guilty, not guilty or guilty but with an explanation?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Debra Yes there is 3 options

Plea of Guilty-Voluntary Payment

" " " -Submissions as to Penalty

Trail Option,Ontario Court of Justice, Provincial Offences Office _ In person or by mail to :City of BarrieXXXXX South, Unit 10

Orillia ON L3V 7N6

I would like to fight this ticket As I do volunteer my mechanical abilities in repairing water crafts . Leaving my boat Lic at home should not cost me $305 Many thanks donclayton

You were to have the licence on you so it will be hard to say you are not guilty.

There are two viable options that I can see.

The first is to plead guilty and ask for a reduced fine. Explain that you have the licence, it was at home for some reason and you usually have it on you, you do volunteer your time etc.

Or plead not guilty (choose the trial option), attend Court and before hand try and make a deal with the Crown where you would be plead guilty to a lesser offence with a smaller fine and the charge of not having the licence with you will be dropped.

I just don't see how you can have a trial and win unfortunately.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience: Lawyer