Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I live in a strata owned apartment building.I drive a diesel

I live in a strata owned apartment building.
I drive a diesel F350 ford truck.
I have been asked to remove my truck from our parking lot..that does not have fans or ventilation.
They have cited noise and the smell and weight as a reason. We have 2 weeks to abandon our parking spot and there is no outside parking available.
This parking stall is included in my rent and we have been parking here for over 4 years.
Also they are ciying the weight as too much for the grate we drive across, this was damaged when we moved in!
Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

Thanks for requesting me.

Your contract is with your landlord. I don't know if your landlord is the Strata itself or an individual owner.

But in either way you have a lease that includes the parking space and they cannot simply decide to breach the lease 4 years later.

So you can refuse to stop parking there and your landlord will need to deal with the Strata.

I do suggest you contact the Residential Tenancies Branch tomorrow and ask what you can do if the landlord tries to remove the spot somehow or seeks to evict you because you insist on parking there.

Here is a link to the contact information you will need:

http://www.rto.gov.bc.ca/content/contactus/default.aspx

Let me know if you need any further clarification.