Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

I own a 6 year old on line business selling toys. I just

I own a 6 year old on line business selling sex toys. I just had my first charge back from someone claiming that they didn't order a product even though the product was shipped to someone with their name at their address. This person lives in the UK, we are a Canadian business. Currently Paypal is investigating the charge and I don't have a response yet, but I would like to be prepared in any case. What I'm wondering is what remedies are available to me should Paypal decide to allow his charge back?
Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

How much would they owe you?

Are they also denying that the product was delivered to their home?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Their order was for $348.48 CAD. They are contesting all of it.

They didn't say either way, just that they were claiming they didn't make the purchase. The product, however, has not been delivered to their home because they have refused to pick the package up from customs (there are fees and taxes due on it).

Here is the URL of the supporting documents.!3907&authkey=!ANDbMX5zne6Yxlg

Thanks for the additional information.

I don't believe you will lose this because it seems clear that someone from that home used the credit card. It could have been a teenager for example but that's not your problem.

If you do lose with paypal then if this person was in Ontario you would simply sue in Small Claims Court.

But as he is in UK it is going to cost you more money to sue him than what he owes you unfortunately.

It may be that a lawyer will agree to send a demand letter scaring the customer into paying and not charge you much but otherwise I don't think you have any realistic means of recouping the money with this person being in the UK unfortunately, unless you have a friend or family member living in the same city who could sue for you.

I am sorry about that.