Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

If a man owns house and lot with one wife, wife then passes

If a man owns house and lot with one wife, wife then passes away then man remarries - the second wife predeseased the husband - does the second wife automatically own half the house and lot and is that part of her estate? The man then passes away - wouldn't he have had sole possession of the house and lot to be passed down to his benificiaries?
Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

When the man remarried was the second wife's name on title to the house?

If so were they on title as joint tenants or tenants-in-common?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm not sure if they were on the title together - will have to call his lawyer on Tuesday

Let me explain the law then.

When two owners are on title, the title vests in the second when the first dies, if they are on title as joint tenants.

If they are tenants-in-common then when the first dies the title of the half of the interest vests in the estate.

If there is no one else on title the the title vests in the estate.

Then the Will or the intestate succession provisions of the Act if there is no Will determines what happens to the house and the other assets.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.