Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

Where are the rules protecting a renter of a float home

Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

Do you have a written lease or a verbal tenancy agreement?

What are the basic facts?

For example is the landlord wanting to evict you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Verbal agreement on a month to month basis with receipts for proof of payment
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
So does the landlord want to evict you and if so why?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Already did when I was away for a couple days and removed my belongs and placed them on a public dock where items where removed and stolen. The police did nothing to assist me when I asked for help. Saying it is outside there realm
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
Were you behind on your rent?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No she told the police I was. but I had my friend pay the rent while I was away and the landlord texted me complaining that my friend had payed the rent and was staying there while I was away.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
Is this supposed to be a permanent tenancy or just a seasonal one?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Permanent have been there for 2 years but haven't gotten along with the landlord for the past 4 months
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
I've been doing some research on this issue.

I believe that you are covered by the Residential Tenancies Act.

This is clearly an unlawful eviction. It is even if you are not covered by the Act.

The landlord is going to be liable to you for damages both for the unlawful eviction, for return of some rent and for the loss of your belongings.

I suggest you first contact the Residential Tenancies Branch on Tuesday morning.

If they say you are not covered then you can sue the landlord in Small Claims Court and can self-represent.

Here is a link to the contact information you will need:

http://www.rto.gov.bc.ca/content/contactus/default.aspx

If you find you need to sue then you can always post on this site again and I can assist you further if you find you need some help as you go through the process.

For now let me know if you need any further clarification.
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience: Lawyer