How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 98517
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

worried about slander at my work place. the company is know

This answer was rated:

worried about slander at my work place. the company is know for slandering people that they let go. also money is owed to me. i am due back at work on tuesday when i will be fired. what can i do.
Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

If you are wrongfully dismissed you can sue the employer.

If you are owed pay that you've earned and they are not going to pay you then you can file a complaint with the Employment Standards Branch and they will assist you, without any fee, for getting what you are owed.

If you are slandered you can sue them for damage to your reputation but that's expensive so good first step would be to have a lawyer send them a letter demanding that they do not defame you in any way and essentially threatening a lawsuit.

Here is a link to the contract information for the Employment Standards Branch:

  • Toll-free in Alberta: 1‑877‑427‑3731
  • Edmonton: 780‑427‑3731

You can contact the Law Society and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be free.

The number is:

1-800-661-1095 or
403-228-1722 in Calgary

Let me know if you need any further clarification.
Debra and other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i need more information in regards to my case...can you assist me further ?

I can answer your questions for sure.

What are they?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i was hired as a consultant for a restaurant, while there was no contract the work that i was hired to do was verbalized to me. as a consultant i was hired to train others to take over in my role as the chef. promised 40 per week, instead till yesterday was working 6 days per week running lunch and dinner and cooking all the food on my own. i was constantly told by the owners that they had no money and would continuously blame the previous chef who walked out.

i also know that they were planning to fire me as of yesterday for talking to the health inspector in regards to there being no hot water in the restaurant which is a no no to run a business,.


in the cheques that were handed to me it say my full name and pay for consulting fees.

You will have to sue for any money owing if you were not an employee but an independent contractor. The employment standards branch will only help employees.

But sometimes an employer mislabels the relationship.

So the lawyer you see will analyze that as well. If you used their materials, if they set your hours, if you could not work for others, if they directed your work, then you may have actually been an employee.

I do think you should consult face to face with an employment lawyer this coming week.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes that sounds like the course of action i will take.

they did set my hours and had to use all their equipment, constantly micro managing the day to day operations etc. Any idea of what a lawyer will charge and can u suggest other means of contacting one or just via the means u have suggested?

Lawyer referral service is the best way to find a lawyer.

I hope this will settle with a letter or two from a lawyer. That will not cost much.

It will cost a lot more to sue but the won't want to be sued.

Related Canada Law Questions