Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

I have a wife and 2 daughters ( 3 and 4 ). My 3 yo daughter

I have a wife and 2 daughters ( 3 and 4 ). My 3 yo daughter told my wife this Thursday that I instructed her to touch her private parts, while I touched my private and told her to keep it a secret. Of course I never did these things and love both children very much. Most likely my 3 yo didn't want to get in trouble for touching herself ( something my wife and I have be trying to correct) and made up a story. My wife called me at work Thursday and threatened to call the police If I didn't agree to a divorce giving her full custody of both children. My wife currently has both kids and is staying with her mother. I am planning to see a marriage counselor ASAP for advice. What is my best strategy to resolve this quickly with the least damage possible to myself and my family?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 11 months ago.

Debra Thal :

Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

Debra Thal :

I suggest that you immediately consult with two different lawyers at this point in time.

Debra Thal :

First I suggest you consult with a criminal lawyer.

Debra Thal :

As these are very serious allegations there is a very strong possibility that that the police and child protective services will get involved.

Debra Thal :

Your spouse or child may repeat this to just one person and that will be enough.

Debra Thal :

Second I suggest you consult with a family lawyer.

Debra Thal :

These allegations are enough to cause your contact to the children to be limited to supervised access.

Debra Thal :

As well, if your marriage does end there are going to be issues relating to custody/access, child support, spousal support and division of assets.

Debra Thal :

You can contact the Law Society and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be free.

Debra Thal :

Let me find you the phone number to call.

Debra Thal :

You should call first thing Tuesday morning.

Debra Thal :

The number is:

1-800-268-8326 or(NNN) NNN-NNNN(within the GTA)

Customer:

Hello Debra,

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
It looks like you were having trouble staying online.

So please click reply and then try again.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hi Debra,

Is there risk in meeting with a marriage councilor tuesday? or a specialist we can deal with in confidence?

Thanks,

I don't think you should be meeting with any before you get advice from a criminal lawyer.

I think then you can meet with other professionals confidentially even if you have not yet seen a family lawyer.
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience: Lawyer