How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Legal Ease Your Own Question

Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 91063
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Legal Ease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my wife has worked for this company for (10) months now and

Resolved Question:

my wife has worked for this company for (10) months now and at first they payed her at the end of the month, then it was (2) months, now she has not bee payed since May 01/13, As of now they owe her for 2 weeks in March, all of April, May, June, July, Aug. They tell her she is working as if she was under a contract but there is no contract and they just keep coming up with excuses why her cheque is not ready owners not in etc., she works about 30-35 hours a week. Please advise what her rights are and what steps she should be taking. It is not a healthy situation for her and she is under a lot of stress, and financially we are going deeper in debt. please advise.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

The employers are acting unlawfully.

She has the right to be at once for all The money that is owing to her.

I suggest she immediately (that means Tuesday unfortunately) contact the employment standards branch.

They will get the money for her.

But it doesn't really make sense that she keep working for them either as it seems like she has been working for free since March.

I am concerned that they do not have the money as this makes no sense at all.

Here is a the contact information she will need:

GTA:(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr/> Canada-wide: 1-800-531-5551

Let me know if she needs any further clarification.
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 91063
Experience: Lawyer
Legal Ease and other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your quick reply, I will take your advice and call on Tues. 09/03/13. AT this time we thank you and will consider getting more help if we need it. as we can not afford or need to go on a monthly or any other plan at this time. walter

Expert:  Legal Ease replied 2 years ago.
That makes a lot of sense. I understand.

Thanks very much for the rating.

Please take the time to participate in the customer satisfaction survey as that will go into my record with the site.You will be sent an email with the survey in a couple of days.

And feel free to keep my name in case you need me again down the road. You can always put my name into the subject line the next time you post so that your question will stand out for me and I will answer it just as soon as I can.

Thanks and take good care!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Debra I called the Min. of labour office today, they said i need to have my wife Sheryl fill out a claims form on line. its not easy to follow for us, what ever happened to seeing someone at the labour office to help you. Also in question is they suggested filling out a CPT1 form from Canada REV, to find out if they are considered her employer or if she should be classified as self employed. When we talked earlier this year to people about being self employed they told us that since she worked in their office and used their equipment etc., she should be classified as having them for an employer, I talked to Can. Rev. today also and they thought the same but that a form needs to be filled out and they would decide after they review it what her status would be. I also told them that she was saving money for income tax, cpp, etc., but we have now taken from that because of our money situation, we would just like to do the right thing and for her employer to do so also. we respect your advise and help. If this is going to cost us more money to help us please let us know up front and how much so we can decide if we can continue with your help. THANKS AGAIN XXXXX

Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
What city do you live in?

I want to see if I can find somewhere for you go to get some help with these forms.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Debra. We live in Kitchener ON. (XXX) XXX-XXXX

Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
This legal aid clinic may be able to help your wife with the forms:

Waterloo Region Community Legal Services
XXXXXbr/>Unit 101
Kitchener, ON
N2H 2P5
Phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr/> Fax:(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>


Call first and see if she can make an appointment. Make it clear that this is not about wrongful dismissal but just about getting wages that are owing and a bit of help with the forms.

Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 91063
Experience: Lawyer
Legal Ease and other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Your Expert confirmed everything that I had been told, and didn't want to believe. Thank you for putting my mind at rest. Monika Canada
< Previous | Next >
  • Your Expert confirmed everything that I had been told, and didn't want to believe. Thank you for putting my mind at rest. Monika Canada
  • This has been very helpful. I'm glad to see that lawyers and sites like this exist. Thanks for your help. Mike Halifax, NS
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA

Meet The Experts:

  • Tom B.

    Barrister & Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    23 years in practice
< Last | Next >
  • Tom B.'s Avatar

    Tom B.

    Barrister & Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    23 years in practice
  • LawyerProfessor's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experienced Litigation Lawyer in Ontario since 1999 and NY since 1997
  • B.R. Hart's Avatar

    B.R. Hart


    Satisfied Customers:

    Juris Doctor, Member of the Law Society of Upper Canada
  • Jeremie John Martin's Avatar

    Jeremie John Martin


    Satisfied Customers:

    I'm a bilingual attorney for the province of Quebec who goes to Court often for many clients.
  • Sokkalaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Lawyer in Ontario, Canada
  • CaptanLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I'm a criminal defence lawyer, who assists individuals charged with crimes.
  • Law Maven's Avatar

    Law Maven


    Satisfied Customers:

    Lawyer & Instructor at Algonquin Careers Academy

Related Canada Law Questions