Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

my wife has worked for this company for (10) months now and

my wife has worked for this company for (10) months now and at first they payed her at the end of the month, then it was (2) months, now she has not bee payed since May 01/13, As of now they owe her for 2 weeks in March, all of April, May, June, July, Aug. They tell her she is working as if she was under a contract but there is no contract and they just keep coming up with excuses why her cheque is not ready owners not in etc., she works about 30-35 hours a week. Please advise what her rights are and what steps she should be taking. It is not a healthy situation for her and she is under a lot of stress, and financially we are going deeper in debt. please advise.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

The employers are acting unlawfully.

She has the right to be at once for all The money that is owing to her.

I suggest she immediately (that means Tuesday unfortunately) contact the employment standards branch.

They will get the money for her.

But it doesn't really make sense that she keep working for them either as it seems like she has been working for free since March.

I am concerned that they do not have the money as this makes no sense at all.

Here is a the contact information she will need:

GTA:(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr/> Canada-wide: 1-800-531-5551

Let me know if she needs any further clarification.
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience: Lawyer
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for your quick reply, I will take your advice and call on Tues. 09/03/13. AT this time we thank you and will consider getting more help if we need it. as we can not afford or need to go on a monthly or any other plan at this time. walter

That makes a lot of sense. I understand.

Thanks very much for the rating.

Please take the time to participate in the customer satisfaction survey as that will go into my record with the site.You will be sent an email with the survey in a couple of days.

And feel free to keep my name in case you need me again down the road. You can always put my name into the subject line the next time you post so that your question will stand out for me and I will answer it just as soon as I can.

Thanks and take good care!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hi Debra I called the Min. of labour office today, they said i need to have my wife Sheryl fill out a claims form on line. its not easy to follow for us, what ever happened to seeing someone at the labour office to help you. Also in question is they suggested filling out a CPT1 form from Canada REV, to find out if they are considered her employer or if she should be classified as self employed. When we talked earlier this year to people about being self employed they told us that since she worked in their office and used their equipment etc., she should be classified as having them for an employer, I talked to Can. Rev. today also and they thought the same but that a form needs to be filled out and they would decide after they review it what her status would be. I also told them that she was saving money for income tax, cpp, etc., but we have now taken from that because of our money situation, we would just like to do the right thing and for her employer to do so also. we respect your advise and help. If this is going to cost us more money to help us please let us know up front and how much so we can decide if we can continue with your help. THANKS AGAIN XXXXX

What city do you live in?

I want to see if I can find somewhere for you go to get some help with these forms.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hi Debra. We live in Kitchener ON. (XXX) XXX-XXXX

This legal aid clinic may be able to help your wife with the forms:

Waterloo Region Community Legal Services
XXXXXbr/>Unit 101
Kitchener, ON
N2H 2P5
Phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr/> Fax:(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Call first and see if she can make an appointment. Make it clear that this is not about wrongful dismissal but just about getting wages that are owing and a bit of help with the forms.

Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience: Lawyer