Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

In the case of a non profit charitable organization verging

In the case of a non profit charitable organization verging on bankruptcy: If a new board of Directors is set up, and a new manager chosen in an effort to save the corporation, would that new board be held responsible for the debts incurred by the preceding manager and board if their best efforts are unsuccessful and it still goes bankrupt in the end.
Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

Directors are not personally liable for debts of a corporation in most cases.

There would have to be fraud or gross negligence before the directors would usually be considered liable.

The directors would be liable for unpaid salaries that are owing of unpaid remittances to the government such as for taxes for employees, CPP, EI and also for collected HST/GST if that were to apply.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.