How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Ease Your Own Question
Legal Ease
Legal Ease , Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 95178
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Legal Ease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am an illegal CanadXXXXX XXXXXving in USA since 10 years, I have

Customer Question

I am an illegal CanadXXXXX XXXXXving in USA since
10 years, I have no picture I'd , my passport
And driver liscence has been stolen,I only have
My birth certificate. What can I do to get pictures Id?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

You can use your birth certificate and other ID that does not have a picture on it.

If you have any government issue ID cards from Canada or the US you can use them.

If you have your Quebec health card you can use that as well.

You don't have to go back to Quebec. In most cases you will be permitted to submit a declaration from someone that knows you that can identify you.

You will have to call the consulate in the US to ask them what you can do again but going back to Quebec is simply not needed.

Here is the contact information you will need:

New York

Consulate General of CanadaAddress:1251 Avenue of the Americas, Concourse Level, New York, New York, U.S.A.,NNN-NN-NNNNelephone:(NNN) NNN-NNNNax: (NNN) NNN-NNNN1790Email:[email protected]Internet: www.newyork.gc.caServices: May provide limited passport assistance
Let me know if you need any further clarification.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do not have pic ID at all Canadian nor us,
I want one, I am driving without a drivers liscence
This is not an ideal situation.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 2 years ago.
You don't need picture ID.

Here is a list of what you can use:

The adult's identity document must:

  • be in the same name as will appear in the passport;
  • include your signature;
  • be issued by a federal, provincial/territorial/state or municipal authority; and
  • be valid.

For example:

  • Provincial, territorial or state driver's licence
  • Provincial, territorial or state non-driver's licence
  • Provincial, territorial or state health care card (excluding Alberta, Manitoba and Newfoundland and Labrador)
  • Other federal, provincial, territorial, state or municipal identification card
  • Military identification
  • Certificate of Indian Status
  • Old Age Security card
  • Alien Registration Card
  • United States permanent resident card
  • Federal, provincial, territorial, state or municipal employee identification card
  • Canadian passportFootnote 2
Or, as I've said you will be permitted to provide a declaration from someone that has known you for some time.

Call the consulate in NY on Tuesday and ask what to do.

You can do it from the US.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
As now the consulate hasn't been helping me at all.
If I go back to Quebec to get some ids, will they
Issue me a passport knowing that I've been here
Since 10 years? And what are the chances that I will
Be able to come back in the us?
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 2 years ago.
I don't know the law in the US.

But you can get a passport as of right. It doesn't matter where you've lived. You are a Canadian citizen.

But I am telling you that because it's your right to get a passport you do not need to go back to Canada to get one.

You will be permitted to prove your identity in other ways.
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 95178
Experience: Lawyer
Legal Ease and other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thank you
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 2 years ago.

Thanks very much for the rating.

Please take the time to participate in the customer satisfaction survey as that will go into my record with the site.You will be sent an email with the survey in a couple of days.

And feel free to keep my name in case you need me again down the road. You can always put my name into the subject line the next time you post so that your question will stand out for me and I will answer it just as soon as I can.

Thanks and take good care!

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Your Expert confirmed everything that I had been told, and didn't want to believe. Thank you for putting my mind at rest. Monika Canada
< Previous | Next >
  • Your Expert confirmed everything that I had been told, and didn't want to believe. Thank you for putting my mind at rest. Monika Canada
  • This has been very helpful. I'm glad to see that lawyers and sites like this exist. Thanks for your help. Mike Halifax, NS
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA

Meet The Experts:

  • Tom B.

    Tom B.

    Barrister & Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years in practice
< Last | Next >
  • Tom B.'s Avatar

    Tom B.

    Barrister & Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years in practice
  • LawyerProfessor's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experienced Litigation Lawyer in Ontario since 1999 and NY since 1997
  • B.R. Hart's Avatar

    B.R. Hart


    Satisfied Customers:

    Juris Doctor, Member of the Law Society of Upper Canada
  • Jeremie John Martin's Avatar

    Jeremie John Martin


    Satisfied Customers:

    I'm a bilingual attorney for the province of Quebec who goes to Court often for many clients.
  • Sokkalaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Lawyer in Ontario, Canada
  • CaptanLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I'm a criminal defence lawyer, who assists individuals charged with crimes.
  • Law Maven's Avatar

    Law Maven


    Satisfied Customers:

    Lawyer & Instructor at Algonquin Careers Academy