Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

I sent an email to some Toronto city councillors about a company

I sent an email to some Toronto city councillors about a company that I thought did something unethical. A few hours later I learned that I musunderstood what that company did so I resent all the emails and retracted my statement. Can that company sue me for libel?
Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

The company can sue you as anyone can sue someone else.

But for the company to win the company or its directors would have to show that their reputation was damaged.

Given you retracted your statement at once the could not show that you damaged their reputation.

So there would be no reason for them to sue you and if they did there is nothing a Court could award them.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.