Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

Can a landlord evict a tennent without notice in Alberta

Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

The landlord can provide a tenant with a notice of eviction and there needs to be grounds.

But even if there are grounds the landlord cannot actually force the tenant to get out unless there is an order.

But to answer more specifically in terms of what notice may be required I really need to know some of the basic facts first.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How much notice do they need to give. I was under the assumption it was 30 days
It always depends on the grounds.

So what is the reason for the eviction. For example, non-payment of rent is a different ground than the landlord wanting to live in the place him/herself.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
They wish to move back in. We had a verbal agreement and paid 2000 for one month starting on the 3rd of August and now they want us out on the first
They cannot do that.

The can evict you if they want to move back in.

But they most assuredly cannot have you move out by the first of September.

If a tenant is on a month-to-month tenancy then the tenant is entitled to three clear months notice if the landlord wants to move into the premises.