Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

My son who is 16 years old was at The Bay with 3 others. All

My son who is 16 years old was at The Bay with 3 others. All boys were taken in by public security. Two boys took a money clip. My son did not take anything. We received a letter from a lawyer representing the Bay to pay a $ 500 fine and states that according to article 1459 in the civil code, we are neglible parents.
What should we do?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

First, your son didn't do anything.

Second, you would be considered negligent if you failed to take care of him properly or if, for example, you put him up to shoplifting.

Third this is not a fine but a demand from a store who is trying to scare you for sure.

If they were to sue you they have to prove you son stole something, that you were negligent, and that your son cost the store $675.

So it's very unlikely they will sue you and if they do there is very little chance they would win.

I can't give advice over this site but I can fairly say if this happened to me I would ignore the letters.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for your prompt reply, this is encouraging information.

Should they decide to sue, what would happen next and what should we look out for.

If they sue you can self-represent and defend.

And you can post on this site again and I can assist you further.
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience: Lawyer