Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

My ex-wife just asked me to split the cost of basic school

Customer Question

My ex-wife just asked me to split the cost of basic school supplies and winter clothes for our 6 year old son. Are those expenses covered under my $460/month child support?

She returned to work last April after a year off and has a boyfriend who pays half the bills.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

These expenses are to be paid from the basic monthly support you provide.

They are not considered special expenses like day care or charges for extra-curricular activities which you would both contribute to in proportion to your respective incomes.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you very much.
Under "extraordinary or extracurricular activities", if the activity is something she puts him into without consulting me first, such as a summer camp or sports, do I still have to pay my "share"?
No.

You both have to agree first.
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience: Lawyer
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Last one, I promise. My ex's sister is getting married next year. I have been informed it may be a "destination wedding", and that our son is to be the ring bearer.

I have no issue consenting to the travel, but my ex will probably try to have me cover half the costs. Call this getting ahead of the curve, but I'm not responsible for those expenses under "extraordinary costs", am I?
You would not be responsible for any of the costs unless you want your son to go to some wedding that you are taking him to.