Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

I just separated from my husband 2 months ago and we are trying

I just separated from my husband 2 months ago and we are trying to figure out his parenting time. He wants to go 1 week on 1 week off. Our children are 14 and 10 and their dad leaves for work just after 6 am and doesn't get home until 5:30 - 6:00 pm. Is it fair to expect that our 14 year old would get the 10 year old ready for school in the morning and look after him after school? They are typical siblings, who fight all the time. I leave for work at 7:45 (the same time as our son) and get home before 5:00 (about 4:45).
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

No it's not fair and it's not acceptable.

Parents have to take care of their children and not leave their children to fend for themselves.

I don't know why the father wants this arrangement or what he is thinking but if he wants a Court to order shared custody he is going to have to come up with a better arrangement such as starting work later.

If this were to go to Court the Court would make its decision based on what it finds to be in the best interests of the children.

So he is going to have to show shared parenting is in the children's best interests and I don't see how he can do this based on his current set-up.

I suggest as a next step you consult with a family lawyer face to face.

You can contact the BC Branch of the Canadian Bar Association and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be $25.

The number is:

604.687.3221 or 1.800.663.1919.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience: Lawyer
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thank you very much for your quick and honest response. I didn't think that leaving the kids alone in the morning hours would be in their best interest. I will take your advise and call for a lawyer. Thank you.

You are very welcome.

I hope this can be worked out soon!