How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Ease Your Own Question
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 95601
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Legal Ease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My sons on again, off again, girlfriend is claiming she is

This answer was rated:

My son's on again, off again, girlfriend is claiming she is pregnant. She lives in Calgary and he lives in Edmonton. He would go down and see her every couple of weekends. She won't allow him to see her and is playing nasty mind games. He wants to step up and be responsible for the baby if it is his (and if there is one). She is just turning 18 in November.
What happens if she doesn't put his name on the birth certificate? Is he still responsible for child support? Can he insist on a paternity test?

What if she puts his name on the birth certificate and insisted on a paternity test and it turns out the baby isn't his.

At this point he is not even sure if he can deal with her to even see the child. What are his rights? Most guys run and he is not doing that and yet still being treated very badly by her. Help!
Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

Thanks for requesting me.

If the child is his biological child then your son has all the rights and obligations of any other father.

Without a doubt there will need to be a paternity test as he has no idea the child is his.

If it is whether he has a relationship with the mother or child is his choice but he will be liable for child support regardless as the biological parent always must support his child. Child support is the right of the child.

If the child is his he can apply for custody or access.

So his first step should be to see if she will agree to a paternity test. If she will not then he will need to get a court order.

He should then at least consult with a family lawyer even if he has to self-represent.

Your son can contact the Law Society and use their Lawyer Referral Service. He will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be free.

The number is:

1-800-661-1095 or
403-228-1722 in Calgary

After that he can self-represent if necessary and get some help here:

Let me know if you need any further clarification.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So the issue about not being named on the Birth Certificate, is that even an issue?


That would give mothers much too much power if it mattered.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So support would begin at the date of birth. If a paternity test showed he is not the father what happens then?

Support would begin at birth in most cases.

But he can refuse to pay until the paternity test is done.

There are paternity tests that can be done during pregnancy but the mother would have to consent to that.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

And if the mother does not consent during pregnancy, can she also refuse once the child is born? And if so what then?

Once the child is born your son can get an order for the paternity test.

He just cannot do that until after the baby is born.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Once an order is in place she has to allow the test?

Yes or she will be in contempt of court.
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 95601
Experience: Lawyer
Legal Ease and 3 other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Further question, what if she will not allow a paterity test and my son does not pursue insisting on one?

Then if she wants support she will seek an order and he can then say he wants proof the child is his first.

Or if he wants to be involved in the child's life he will need to seek a court order and then again she can try and prove the child is not his.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What if she waits until the child is 10 yrs old for example to demand support. How far back can the Court go?

The Court would go back 3 years at the most but even then it may not go back at all.

She would have to show a good reason why she did not seek support until this time.

But going forward he would have to pay support for sure.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Your Expert confirmed everything that I had been told, and didn't want to believe. Thank you for putting my mind at rest. Monika Canada
< Previous | Next >
  • Your Expert confirmed everything that I had been told, and didn't want to believe. Thank you for putting my mind at rest. Monika Canada
  • This has been very helpful. I'm glad to see that lawyers and sites like this exist. Thanks for your help. Mike Halifax, NS
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA

Meet The Experts:

  • Tom B.

    Tom B.

    Barrister & Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years in practice
< Last | Next >
  • Tom B.'s Avatar

    Tom B.

    Barrister & Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years in practice
  • LawyerProfessor's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experienced Litigation Lawyer in Ontario since 1999 and NY since 1997
  • B.R. Hart's Avatar

    B.R. Hart


    Satisfied Customers:

    Juris Doctor, Member of the Law Society of Upper Canada
  • Jeremie John Martin's Avatar

    Jeremie John Martin


    Satisfied Customers:

    I'm a bilingual attorney for the province of Quebec who goes to Court often for many clients.
  • Sokkalaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Lawyer in Ontario, Canada
  • CaptanLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I'm a criminal defence lawyer, who assists individuals charged with crimes.
  • Law Maven's Avatar

    Law Maven


    Satisfied Customers:

    Lawyer & Instructor at Algonquin Careers Academy

Related Canada Law Questions