Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

In our organisation "Senior Members" normally do not have vo

In our organisation "Senior Members" normally do not have voting rights. We are incorporated in Ontario. Under the Canada Not-for-profit corporations act, all members, voting and non-voting, have the right to vote on certain issues (eg. the sale of property ---in this case sailing club property.) even if they normally do not have voting rights according to our club by-laws Is this the law in Ontario? Does the Canada Not-for Profit Corporation Act act over rule the provincial act? Do full senior members have the right to vote on this particular issue?
Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

The Canadian Act doesn't apply to provincial organizations. It applies to federal organizations only.

So if this is an Ontario incorporation then only the Ontario Act applies.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can senior members vote on the issue to sell the property?

I don't see how they can if your senior members don't have voting rights for anything else.

But, if by senior you mean over a certain age that would be discriminatory and any by-law could be attacked on these grounds.