How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Ease Your Own Question
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 95628
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Legal Ease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter and her husband bought a house and I co-signed

This answer was rated:

My daughter and her husband bought a house and I co-signed for the mortgage for them. They have separated and they made an agreement that my son-in-law would live in the house and make the mortgage payments and my daughter has moved to Vernon. He has missed the last 2 payments. What are my options? I would be willing to take over the mortgage but only if he moved out. He has lost his job and would not qualify to take over the mortgage. Can my daughter and I sign our portion back to the bank? Can we sell it with him living in it? I am at a loss as to what to do.
Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

Is your name on title?

Do you want to buy him out?

Would he agree to this?

Is there enough equity to cover the full mortgage?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes my name, my daughters name and my son-in-law's name is XXXXX XXXXX

They owe more than they would get if they sold it, but it would probably cover most of the mortgage so buying him out is not really an option, I don't think although I am not really sure how that would work. They owe aprox. $140,000. They could probably only get about $120,000.00. So would we have to pay him $40,000.00? I realize that we would have to have it appraised etc. He's desparate for money so he may agree to that.

I am not quite sure how you are calculating this.

Are you saying that you are willing to take over the mortgage and the property?

If they owe more than it's worth why would you be paying him anything?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, that doesn't make sense. Yes, my husband and I would take over the mortgage and the property and rent it out, but his name is XXXXX XXXXX and he is living there, so how would we get him out? Could he sign his portion over to us and remove his name from the title? What if he doesn't want to do that?

He really has two choices as he has no money. He can get out of the house and also out of the debt by agreeing to sign over the title to you.

Or he can let the mortgage go into default and lose the house anyway and be sued for the deficiency along with both of you.

He is luck if you are willing to let him go for free. He most assuredly should not be paid a cent. In fact he should pay you for 1/3 of the deficiency and get out.

Do you see what I mean?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I do see what you mean. Is there some legal way that we can force him to do that?

You can seek an order for the sale of the house.

Then you can also ask for a right of first refusal to buy it.

I wonder if one strongly worded letter from a lawyer may scare him into giving in.
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 95628
Experience: Lawyer
Legal Ease and 2 other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Your Expert confirmed everything that I had been told, and didn't want to believe. Thank you for putting my mind at rest. Monika Canada
< Previous | Next >
  • Your Expert confirmed everything that I had been told, and didn't want to believe. Thank you for putting my mind at rest. Monika Canada
  • This has been very helpful. I'm glad to see that lawyers and sites like this exist. Thanks for your help. Mike Halifax, NS
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA

Meet The Experts:

  • Tom B.

    Tom B.

    Barrister & Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years in practice
< Last | Next >
  • Tom B.'s Avatar

    Tom B.

    Barrister & Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years in practice
  • LawyerProfessor's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experienced Litigation Lawyer in Ontario since 1999 and NY since 1997
  • B.R. Hart's Avatar

    B.R. Hart


    Satisfied Customers:

    Juris Doctor, Member of the Law Society of Upper Canada
  • Jeremie John Martin's Avatar

    Jeremie John Martin


    Satisfied Customers:

    I'm a bilingual attorney for the province of Quebec who goes to Court often for many clients.
  • Sokkalaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Lawyer in Ontario, Canada
  • CaptanLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I'm a criminal defence lawyer, who assists individuals charged with crimes.
  • Law Maven's Avatar

    Law Maven


    Satisfied Customers:

    Lawyer & Instructor at Algonquin Careers Academy