Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

My husband is co-executor of his mothers will - with his sister.

My husband is co-executor of his mother's will - with his sister. His sister is also Power of Attorney. His mother is in a care facility and non-communicative. He attempted to get a copy of the will from his mother's lawyer and his sister had "blocked" him from accessing a copy.
Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

The Will is confidential. No one is entitled to see it until your mother-in-law dies. Then the executors get to see the Will of course.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am executor of a friend's will and I have a copy of that will. I am guessing that is because they chose to share it with me.

In addition, my sister-in-law is power of attorney, so does that allow her access to that will?

Yes it is because when a testator is competent the testator can do what she wants.

No your sister-in-law does not have the authority to see the Will either. Being appointed under a POA does not give her that right.