Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

Hi, Im looking at leasing an apartment that is zoned Commercial

Hi, I'm looking at leasing an apartment that is zoned Commercial / Residential. There are a lot of clauses in the lease that basically give me all the responsibility of an owner without actually owning the place. ie. a 2.000.000$ insurance policy liability for all maintenance of the unit and a share of maintenance to the entire building. Is this standard practice?

Also would I be liable for entire amount of the rent in case the person renting with me disappears?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 11 months ago.

Debra Thal :

Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

Debra Thal :

Is there going to be one or two leases?

Customer:

There will be two leases but it has been voiced as a possibility that I sublease under the guy that's already there, my f

Customer:

Prospective roommate.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
The chat was not working so I had to end it.

If there are two separate leases then you will only be liable for your part of the rent unless the lease you sign says you are liable for all there rent if it's not paid.

So be sure to confirm that you are not but will only be liable for your portion.

It's appropriate to have tenant's insurance but a tenant most assuredly does not insure a building that is not owned by the tenant. The tenant's insurance would be to cover your belongings and to cover damage cause to the building or other units by you.

If this is a residential tenancy it is not at all common for you to be responsible for a portion of the maintenance fees for the building. If this is a commercial tenancy that would be common.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience: Lawyer