Law.Hut
Law.Hut, Lawyer
Experience:  with over 15 years experience.
64292049

My company was just named in an article in a newspaper (local

My company was just named in an article in a newspaper (local paper police report)-as notifying the police about a man who had just threatened to kill two people. It was an anonymous tip and we have been published as the people who filed the complaint. Can any action be taken against police or paper? (person who the complaint was about just got out of jail after serving 4 years for a home invasion assault)

Law.Hut : Hello: You could sue the paper only if they have printed something that is false and would damage your companies reputation. That would be a lawsuit in defamation. But the paper otherwise owes no duty of privacy to your company. You could sue the police for allowing the information about your company to be released. The police have a very strict duty to protect the privacy of anonymous tipsters or confidential informants. The police either deliberately released that information or arguably were negligent in not ensuring that sufficient safeguards wee in place to prevent such a disclosure.