How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law.Hut Your Own Question
Law.Hut, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 7846
Experience:  with over 15 years experience.
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Law.Hut is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi! I have a question about custody and contacting the kid. I

This answer was rated:

Hi! I have a question about custody and contacting the kid.
I came to Canada with my kid as a refugee because of my ex-husband. Our refugee status was granted because of domestic abuse. My ex also started a case and was asking to bring child back, but his claim was refused as in family court was again proved domestic abuse.
Now after all this - he is asking access to the kid and wants to come to Canada and contact us. Can he actually ask access if 2 courts proved domestic abuse. Shouldn't he actually be restricted to come close? What is the law about this?
I was suffering from him many years and now when I hear these demands and possibilities that he will come visit I am scared, confused and don't see how I am protected. Going back home it's life threatening, I have restrictions, so how come that the abuser can ask to visit us here. Please, help with advise or where can I read some laws about it?!

Nothing can stop him from applying to the Canadian court to ask for an order to have access. But his being a lento ask does not mean that the court will allow it.

The court always has authority to make a new order about child custody or access. It can review any prior order if there has been a change of circumstances. But it must always rule based on what is best for the child. There is no such thing as an automatic right of a father to have contact. The court can certainly be advised about the prior rulings and his abusive nature , and the court can decide that contact with your child would not be in the child's best interests and refuse such contact.

Here is a web address with general information on the las regarding custody and access:

You can also search case law on the topic if you wish at a website called canlii, which has a free database of legal decisions.

If you have any other more specific question, please let me know.

I hope this is helpful. If you have no further questions, please rate the answer positively, as otherwise the site does not credit me, even if you have paid a deposit. You can still ask follow up questions after rating though, if you wish.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Immigration court and Family court now about abuses, life threatens - based on that we can stay in Canada and be protected persons (from him and back home country).

Can I refuse contact with him and say that I don't want any contact with my child? Are there any law to base my answer?

Can I actually ask that he would be restricted to come close to me and my family if I have 2 court decisions that proved that he was abusive and I had life threatens? Which law says that? I need a law to lay on.

Yes, unless and until a court says differently, you can refuse contact. You have the decision making power and that is supported by the prior rulings about his abuse.

Yes, you can seek an order that he not be allowed near you or your family. If you have some reasonable basis to fear he may harm you or your family, you can go to the police and ask for a peace bond, pursuant to section 810 of the criminal code. That can prevent him from having any contact with you and if he visited this it is a criminal charge against him.

You do not need a lawyer to get such a peace bond.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you!

If I go to police, do I need something to prove my fear? Can I get that for my kids too, even as he is a father living in other country?

Can that peace bond help me in court to get decision that I don't want him contacting my kid?

You can prove your fear through your own statement of what happened in the past.

A peace bond can apply with respect to both you and your children, and prevent any type of contact from him to your children.

But the police likely will not be able to make any type of order that is enforceable unless he comes to Canada. While he remains in the other jurisdiction, it would be the police and courts of that country that have authority over him.

Law.Hut, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 7846
Experience: with over 15 years experience.
Law.Hut and other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Your Expert confirmed everything that I had been told, and didn't want to believe. Thank you for putting my mind at rest. Monika Canada
< Previous | Next >
  • Your Expert confirmed everything that I had been told, and didn't want to believe. Thank you for putting my mind at rest. Monika Canada
  • This has been very helpful. I'm glad to see that lawyers and sites like this exist. Thanks for your help. Mike Halifax, NS
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA

Meet The Experts:

  • Tom B.

    Tom B.

    Barrister & Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years in practice
< Last | Next >
  • Tom B.'s Avatar

    Tom B.

    Barrister & Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years in practice
  • LawyerProfessor's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experienced Litigation Lawyer in Ontario since 1999 and NY since 1997
  • B.R. Hart's Avatar

    B.R. Hart


    Satisfied Customers:

    Juris Doctor, Member of the Law Society of Upper Canada
  • Jeremie John Martin's Avatar

    Jeremie John Martin


    Satisfied Customers:

    I'm a bilingual attorney for the province of Quebec who goes to Court often for many clients.
  • Sokkalaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Lawyer in Ontario, Canada
  • CaptanLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I'm a criminal defence lawyer, who assists individuals charged with crimes.
  • Law Maven's Avatar

    Law Maven


    Satisfied Customers:

    Lawyer & Instructor at Algonquin Careers Academy

Related Canada Law Questions