Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

Im going off to College in a few days - did all my paperwork

Customer Question

I'm going off to College in a few days - did all my paperwork and down-payments. Today I check my email only to find out that I'm apparently put on the wait-wist for residence (A week before school starts I may add).

When I registered for residence, I was accepted and did all the steps required to proceed. Just the last step wasn't going through (Payment option was OSAP). When I called student services inquiring into it they said OSAP would automatically make the payments for me because I have it checked off to do so - and I have a spot on residence.

Now when I called today, they said my spot was filled because I didn't make a full payment in time (Yet my down-payment is there and OSAP is already locked in as my payment choice).

Is there anything legal I can do about this? They guaranteed my spot, the website already set me up through all the steps to register because there was spots at the time. I even called inquiring into it, and I was told I had it.

It's a week before school starts, I live 10 hours away from there and if I don't get on residence I won't be able to attend this year. I've already left my job, and my positions been filled to go off to school - I've spent money on a trip to go down there, among food, plans, and school supplies and it might all go to waist because they screwed me out of residence when I was told I had it. Yet I did everything they told me to...
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

When you say you called, whom did you speak to exactly? For example was it the registrar's office?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It was the registrar's office. About three weeks prior to this, when I was still not receiving any information other then receipts for down-payments. It was when I was asking about general information about how OSAP works - the call wasn't just about my residence it was about tuition and getting a fax number to send my disability forms over to verify my disability for it.

During this call though, I was informed since I checked off the option when signing up for OSAP - that they would take care of both my Tuition payments and residence automatically for me and that yes I was accepted for residence.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Proof of Acceptance

Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
Did you speak to a staff member or did you speak to the Registrar or the Registrar's assistant?

And did they actually say they made a mistake but sorry and that's it?

Are you 18? Do you live at home? If so have your parents called yet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm 21, took a year off to save up for college. I live with my parents, but there out of town for the weekend. Why I need to find out ASAP all my options since school starts in a weeks time, and I was only informed today that I didn't have it.

When I called they apologized and said there was nothing they could do about it - but there's chances of people not showing up, which will lead to openings. That I should of made a payment for residence, yet OSAP was automatically locked in as my choice (Why I called originally) - meaning there wasn't even another option to choose from.

I didn't ask for a name when I called, all I know is I got forwarded to the registration office when I called.

Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
This is ridiculous because they are going to be liable for providing you accommodations and anyone in authority would know this.

Even though you are 21 it may make more sense to have your parents call tomorrow.

And it may be that your parents are going to have to threaten to sue.

You were accepted into residence and not only did you do what you were told to do but you called to make sure it was the correct thing to do.

Now, it's likely someone will not show up as each year I know kids even move around after a day or so if they don't like their residence as spaces open up.

But, first, you need the first space that opens.

And second, they will have to assist you in terms of getting another place to live and to cover the costs if you cannot get into residence.

And this is what your parents need to threaten tomorrow.

I suggest your more aggressive parent call first thing tomorrow morning. And I suggest they demand to speak to the Registrar directly.

They should persist and try and get that far.

If this does not work they should call the Dean's office, demand to speak to the Dean or at least the assistant to the Dean.

Don't panic as once this goes up a bit in terms of the hierarchy and your parents get involved this will be worked out.
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience: Lawyer
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
Thanks very much for the rating.

Please take the time to participate in the customer satisfaction survey as that will go into my record with the site.You will be sent an email with the survey in a couple of days.

And feel free to keep my name in case you need me again down the road. You can always put my name into the subject line the next time you post so that your question will stand out for me and I will answer it just as soon as I can.

Thanks and take good care!