Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

I was born in Calgary Alberta in 1941. I found out who my

I was born in Calgary Alberta in 1941. I found out who my biological father was about 10 years ago. He and my mother were not married. He is deceased. He was married, separated and had other children by that marriage. All my half siblings are dead as there is about a 30 year age difference between them and myself. They were ranchers. I have a copy of my fathers will. Should the executor/s tried to find my mother/me even though I was not mentioned in the will and if so would I have been entitled to be a beneficiary. There is more to the story and I believe some of the land has been passed down to other ranchers. There is all indications that my mothers pregnancy was known and by whom but she left Alberta and as far as I know never received any assistance for me. She had been working as a ranch hand. She was approx. 17/18 years old when she became pregnant. She is deceased. Could I make a claim now if property is still in the family.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

I am sorry to hear this.

When did your father die?

And did the Will talk about his children by name or did the Will say something indicating all children living at his death, for example, share......?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

He died April 3, 1965

that the said deceased at the time of his death was a married man (Judicial Separation) and left him surviving his lawful wife and his NATURAL lawful children. It went on to name the wife and their children.

If the Will mentioned children specifically then unfortunately you don't have a claim to the estate as your biological father had the right to do what he wanted with his estate.

Had he died without a Will that would have been different.

I am sorry this is not the answer you were hoping for but do let me know if you need further clarification.
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience: Lawyer