How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 99431
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am the owner of 4 duplexes, all on a lane, in the City of

This answer was rated:

I am the owner of 4 duplexes, all on a lane, in the City of Courtenay, B.C. The landlord across from these duplexes, has rented his house to a drug dealer who had a confrontation with one of my tenants because her young daughter (9 years) and friends were riding their bicycles in the lane. He was waiting for a taxi to come and pick up an order (which we believe is drugs) as this goes on all day and night. The police have been called many times to this address; the city is also aware of this. My tenant is fearful for her and her child's safety. There are 5 children who live in these duplexes (we are across from an elementary school). At this time, 5 tenants (out of 8) have had confrontations with these people (theft out of cars, doorknobs tested to see if they can get inside).
What can we do? If something happens to my tenants am I liable? This has been going on for years and I am very frustrated with the landlord of the drug house, but am afraid to confront him as he is very abusive and I am afraid for my safely.
Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

Your tenants have a right to peaceful enjoyment of their homes.

And the landlord across the road is not permitted to allow his tenants to act this way.

If the landlord does allow this you may be able to sue him for nuisance which is actually a legal tort (wrongdoing).

There is no need for you to confront this man.

Rather, I suggest you retain a lawyer in your city to send him a letter demanding he seek to evict these tenants and threatening a lawsuit.

You can contact the BC Branch of the Canadian Bar Association and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be $25.

The number is:

604.687.3221 or 1.800.663.1919.

And I also think you should call the police and ask the police if they are willing to sit down with you and all these tenants who can tell their stories and ask the police for help.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.
Debra and other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is it possible for the City to sue the landlord? The person (landlord) in question here is from a well-known wealthy family in this city; when I call the police they always ask me it is the junior or senior member of the family I am calling about. Needless to say, they have lot of money and I don't know if I can afford to sue him.

They city won't sue him.

But you can get possibly sue in Small Claims Court.

Why not see a lawyer for the $25 who is local and who will have a feel as to how you may manage on your own, self-representing in Small Claims Court.

Or have the lawyer send a letter and see what happens but don't hire the lawyer to sue.
Thanks very much for the rating.

Please take the time to participate in the customer satisfaction survey as that will go into my record with the site.You will be sent an email with the survey in a couple of days.

And feel free to keep my name in case you need me again down the road. You can always put my name into the subject line the next time you post so that your question will stand out for me and I will answer it just as soon as I can.

Thanks and take good care!

Related Canada Law Questions