Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

Is it legal to video tape a co-worker without their consen

Is it legal to video tape a co-worker without their consent?
Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

Not it's not legal to video-tape someone like this without their permission.

You can audio record a conversation if you are part of it.

Your employer could possible post video cameras in the workplace if the are needed and not just being done for no reason.

So your employer may be able to do this but you cannot. And your employer would really have to check with their lawyer.

Let me know if you need further clarification.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the quick reply. Just a few more details: My wife works in the company HR department, and she of course knows about my co-workers actions. So it is possible I can remain anonymous when this information is "leaked out", and if the co-worker is to get fired over this and were to find out I did the video-taping then he has right to take legal action against me? And to give you further details - this co-worker was not just slacking off during these overtime hours, he was touching himself inappropriately, and this has happened multiple times.

Just make sure no one finds out about the video-taping.
Thanks very much for the rating.

Please take the time to participate in the customer satisfaction survey as that will go into my record with the site.You will be sent an email with the survey in a couple of days.

And feel free to keep my name in case you need me again down the road. You can always put my name into the subject line the next time you post so that your question will stand out for me and I will answer it just as soon as I can.

Thanks and take good care!