Thank you for your question.Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.
Your husband can send the Pension Plan administrator a letter.
In the letter he can state that he is in the process of information gathering.
He has to make some decisions about his future.
He needs to be able to make an informed decision as this decision will be life-altering and irreparable.
And he wants to know.......
If that does not work his next step could be to have a lawyer write the same sort of letter.
You can contact the Law Society and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be free. The number is:1-800-661-1095 or 403-228-1722 in Calgary
Let me know if you need any further clarification.
Hi Debra. Thank you for getting back to me. Further to your suggestions: I assume it would be a good idea for my husband to clearly state in his letter that he has not made a decision regarding when he will retire and that his letter should not be interpreted as being a request to retire (or something to that effect)? Also, if he doesn't receive a response from the HR/pension administrator and we go to our lawyer to draft a second letter, then what? Is my husband legally entitled to the information he wants as I stated above, or are we just making a request that we hope they will respond to? If they don't respond to a letter from our lawyer, is there any further action we can take to get this information?