How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Law.Hut Your Own Question

Law.Hut, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 7846
Experience:  with over 15 years experience.
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Law.Hut is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need a question answered about CCTB and the CRA. Im being

Resolved Question:

I need a question answered about CCTB and the CRA. I'm being told I must repay child tax benefits of $7995, unless I can verify I lived in Alberta by providing letters from my landlord, with dates rent was paid, and it must be signed by the landlord. We paid cash for one of the places we resided, had no receipts or rental agreement, and the only name we know the landlord had was his first name Ronnie.

Does the CRA actually need a letter from the landlord, or can I prove residency in an alternate manner. In fact, I did not pay the rent, my boyfriend did, who I've subsequently split from. Also, I lived with him in Ontario for a while, but did not own the house - his mother did. I now live with my parents. I am completely broke, make enough to pay daycare and gas to get to work, I am going to school, do not own anything but massive debt. I've just about had enough. My mother has given me a car to use, a house to live in, and food to eat. I'm 24 and so frustrated. I feel I can never get ahead.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Law.Hut replied 2 years ago.

It does not have to be a landlord. After all, what would CRA expect if you were living rent free, or living with a friend?

Other ways to prove residency can be to show that you had ID issued to you with a certain address, or utility or phone bills for service to an Alberta address in your name. Or that you had listed an Alberta address with businesses, such as bank statements in your name with an Alberta address, or credit card statements. Receipts or ATM print outs for your account could also be useful. You can also seek to get letters from neighbours or others who dealt with you and know that you were residing in Alberta. That can help if they are professionals, like a doctor, dentist, nurse, lawyer, banker, accountant, or any type of clergy for example. Any type of employment information such as a pay statement with an Alberta address could be used.

If you have no further questions, please rate the answer positively, as otherwise the site does not credit me, even if you have paid a deposit. You can still ask follow up questions after rating though, if you wish.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

CRA has stated specifically that I need provide a landlords letter or mortgage info if I owned. What do I do if they keep telling me this, which they've done several times so far? Is there a law, rule, policy I can quote?

Expert:  Law.Hut replied 2 years ago.
No. They are just quoting a policy to you. There is no section of the Income Tax Act that says that residency can only be proven by one of the two documents that they mention. As I pointed out , ho would hat be fair to a person that has no owned property or any landlord? You can tell them that such information is not a available to you and you are proving residency in another manner. Don't ask ahead of time if they will accept some alternative information. Just put together what you can, tell them that you do not have any information from a landlord and had no mortgage. If you are denied benefits or they seek to have you repay , you are allowed to appeal to a court, and you can certainly submit these alternative types of documents for review by a court.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Who do I appeal to if they deny? What court? I really appreciate your help.

Expert:  Law.Hut replied 2 years ago.
You would first file a Notice of objection with Canada Revenue. There would be an internal appeal within Canada Revenue. If that is also ruled against you, then you can file an appeal with the Tax court of Canada.

Here's a web address that gives information on both the notice of objection and filing an appeal to tax court. Sorry, I cannot attach a live link:

Law.Hut, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 7846
Experience: with over 15 years experience.
Law.Hut and other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Your Expert confirmed everything that I had been told, and didn't want to believe. Thank you for putting my mind at rest. Monika Canada
< Previous | Next >
  • Your Expert confirmed everything that I had been told, and didn't want to believe. Thank you for putting my mind at rest. Monika Canada
  • This has been very helpful. I'm glad to see that lawyers and sites like this exist. Thanks for your help. Mike Halifax, NS
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA

Meet The Experts:

  • Tom B.

    Barrister & Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    23 years in practice
< Last | Next >
  • Tom B.'s Avatar

    Tom B.

    Barrister & Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    23 years in practice
  • LawyerProfessor's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experienced Litigation Lawyer in Ontario since 1999 and NY since 1997
  • B.R. Hart's Avatar

    B.R. Hart


    Satisfied Customers:

    Juris Doctor, Member of the Law Society of Upper Canada
  • Jeremie John Martin's Avatar

    Jeremie John Martin


    Satisfied Customers:

    I'm a bilingual attorney for the province of Quebec who goes to Court often for many clients.
  • Sokkalaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Lawyer in Ontario, Canada
  • CaptanLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I'm a criminal defence lawyer, who assists individuals charged with crimes.
  • Law Maven's Avatar

    Law Maven


    Satisfied Customers:

    Lawyer & Instructor at Algonquin Careers Academy

Related Canada Law Questions