Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

I was leaving for work at 5:30 am (dark out) and my neighbor was

I was leaving for work at 5:30 am (dark out) and my neighbor
was walking his dog. He bent down behind my car for his dog and I hit him hard enough to knock him down. I walked him home and he seemed shaken but fine. His wife is now giving the impression that they will sue. How much trouble could I be in?
Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

Give that you reported this to the police you are not in any trouble.

You should report this to your insurance company given you are being told they may sue.

Unless he was hurt there is no reason to sue.

And even if he was your insurance would likely just pay what he is entitled to.

The only time you would be sued is if the insurers won't pay the claim for some reason or other.

So I suggest not calling a lawyer now but calling your insurance company.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Does it make a difference if he was on the sidewalk/boulevard or my property?

Accident happened Thurs. and as of Sat. hadn't seen a doctor. Probably will today. Does this go in my favour?

It all makes a difference.

If he ends up suing he was at least partly negligent.

And he is not hurt, clearly, as how can he be hurt on Thursday morning and not see a doctor until Tuesday?

If he says he cannot work and is out of pocket money your insurance company will deal with this.
Thanks very much for the rating.

Please take the time to participate in the customer satisfaction survey as that will go into my record with the site.You will be sent an email with the survey in a couple of days.

And feel free to keep my name in case you need me again down the road. You can always put my name into the subject line the next time you post so that your question will stand out for me and I will answer it just as soon as I can.

Thanks and take good care!