Law.Hut
Law.Hut, Lawyer
Experience:  with over 15 years experience.
64292049

My son went to fireworks last night. He had bear spray that

My son went to fireworks last night. He had bear spray that for protection on a mountain in his bag. He forgot to leave it at home before he went to fireworks. A undercover police random searched him without any reason and got it, and arrested my son, and threatened him. Is the police legal action?
Hello:

No. The police have no right to randomly search a person,and doing so can result in evidence being excluded as a violation of his Charter of Rights and Freedoms privileges. If he was threatened, that is also a violation of his rights which could result in evidence being excluded, and if it was a threat of physical violence could be a criminal charge against the officer.