Copperlaw
Copperlaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired cop. Now a Lawyer. Drug expert, breath tech, negotiator, traffic specialist. Criminal, Family, Civil and more.

I have a website for an online game currency i have received

Customer Question

I have a website for an online game currency i have received an email from the company to shutdown my website for violation tos and copyrights.

The game company is in canada and i live in kuwait plus i in my website i don't use the game logo and i don't even use the company name or the game name so there is no way i have violated the copyrights.

My question is can they sue me knowing that i live in kuwait and my server provider is in china.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Copperlaw replied 12 months ago.

Copperlaw : Hi there
Copperlaw : This depends on where in Canada they are located
Customer:

Montreal quebec

Copperlaw : Rules of Civil Procedure vary between Provinces and where a plaintiff could commence an action in one Province, in another, they may have to commence the action in the defendant's jurisdiction
Copperlaw : Well that's good
Customer:

But i'm not canadian

Copperlaw : I've recently had the opportunity to work closely on a civil matter with one of my colleagues here who practices in Quebec
Customer:

Never been there and i don't plan to go there

Copperlaw : The Quebec Rules require a Quebec plaintiff to commence an action in the defendant's jurisdiction if they are outside of Quebec
Copperlaw : Just as you won't be going to Quebec, I expect they won't be filing claims in Kuwait or China
Copperlaw : From what you describe, this sounds like bullying tactics
Copperlaw : People have traded and sold online characters, items, currency etc for years
Customer:

Yes that is what i thought because i never violated their copyrights only the tos

Customer:

And there are other websites that are using the game logo

Customer:

They never shut them down

Copperlaw : I've seen many an eBay ad for a "level xx" character in WoW or a "sword of stealth" if you know what I mean
Customer:

Yeah

Copperlaw : You're not selling the game, a modification of it, or anything that you've taken from it
Customer:

So you think i should reply to their email or just ignore it

Copperlaw : You, I assume, have purchased the game, as have others, have played it, and are then trading in the effort that you've put in
Copperlaw : To amass a certain amount of online currency yourself, then sell or trade it to another player, is not stealing anything from the company
Copperlaw : My thought is that you are but one of many who have received this letter trying to "intimidate", just to see who they can scare off
Copperlaw : And they may be just waiting to see who will take the bait
Copperlaw : This situation could be compared to someone who spends hours on a game, completes it, then produces a "walkthrough" guide, either for free or for donations
Copperlaw : They are simply dealing in their own game "experience"
Customer:

Your right trading the currency is a part of this game and they can't prove that i got paid for it

Customer:

Well. What i wanted to know is wether they can do anything or sue me here in kuwait

Copperlaw : I agree
Copperlaw : They'd have to go to Kuwait
Copperlaw : I doubt that would happen
Customer:

Thanks for your help thats all i need to know

Copperlaw : You are very welcome
Copperlaw : A positive rating is greatly appreciated if you were to be so kind
Customer:

Bye

Copperlaw : Goodnight
Copperlaw, Lawyer
Experience: Retired cop. Now a Lawyer. Drug expert, breath tech, negotiator, traffic specialist. Criminal, Family, Civil and more.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hi there....

Expert:  Copperlaw replied 11 months ago.
Hi
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I have more questions how can we start a chat again?

Is this follow up to the original question or a new discussion?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Yes a follow up ...somsthing new happend and i need ur advice

Go ahead, we'll chat here. Happy to help further.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

ok....so the game company or their lawyer or whatever just tried to buy a character from me but i have refunded them and canceled their order i use paypal only as a payment method...

what do you think they did that for?? to find more info about me or to just prove that i sell their stuff ?

and do you think i did the right thing?

I expect that they're probably trying to identify you to make their threats more "personal". Sounds
Ike you handled it properly.