Law.Hut
Law.Hut, Lawyer
Experience:  with over 15 years experience.
64292049

My 19 year old daughter was hired in the middle of may for

My 19 year old daughter was hired in the middle of may for a summer job. She was told at the time that she would get full time hours starting in June. June went by with no schedule written up and only weekend work of 5 or 6 hour days with the occasional Friday shift. She asked her boss if she should look for another part time job to make up more hours as she needs the money for college in the fall. She was assured that it wasn't necessary. By the end of June, my husband and I offered that she could work part time for us to help out. Then she was told she would be job sharing with a previous employee that was returning. (still no schedule) basically cutting Back her already sparse hours. She mentioned to her boss that she was going to work part time for us, but would absolutely still be able to work weekends. So she was fired.

My question is, does she have a legitimate unlawful dismissal case? Is it worth the expense of hiring a lawyer to pursue?

Thanks for your advice
Hello:

No, it absolutely would not be worth hiring a lawyer or pursuing. She would be able to be dismissed without notice given her very short time period of having worked there. She was still within a probationary period. And even if she was entitled to any notice, the amount would be very limited, such as perhaps a week of wages. That would be reduced by a court if she was able to mitigate her loss by obtaining any replacement work in her notice period. So the amount that she could hope to recover, even if she was totally successful (and I do not think she would be ) would be very limited, and would likely not pay for an initial consultation with a lawyer which would typically cost $200 or $300.