Law.Hut
Law.Hut, Lawyer
Experience:  with over 15 years experience.
64292049

My common law partner and I broke up. We lived together for

My common law partner and I broke up. We lived together for 3 + years, in his house. Together, we built the equity in that house from $250 000 to $500 000. I paid an average of 40% of the household bills (mortgage, groceries, etc.etc)

He believes he should get to keep the house and all of the equity.

Am I entitled to any money from this?
Hello:

Yes, you have an entitlement to a portion of the equity. There is no automatic equal division of property in a common law marriage, but you are entitled based on the value of contributions made to the property. As long as you can prove the amount of contributions that you made to help acquire or pay for the house, maintain it or improve it, you are entitled to the equity built up in the home from those contributions. A contribution could be direct, such as paying the mortgage, or indirect, such as your labour.