Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

I signed a 3 year lease for a residential unit effective September

I signed a 3 year lease for a residential unit effective September 1 2012. The lease states that I agree to pay the sum of 1350.00 "on the first day of each and every month during the currency of the said term." I assumed that means I avoid rent increases until 2015.

Today my landlord sent me a note by email saying that my rent will increase September 1 2013 under the 12 month rule.

When I read sections of the act it speaks about tenancy but doesn't stipulate how long a tenancy period can be.

Am I incorrect in believing I am exempt from rent increases during the term of my lease?

If he is right, and I don't want to or can't pay the increased amount, can I provide notice and 'break' the lease early??
Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

Yes you are right.

He cannot increase the rent during the entire term of the lease and from what you are telling them the lease has a fixed term of 3 years.

So he cannot raise the rent before the 3 years is up.

When there is no fixed term beyond a year a landlord can raise the rent once in every 12 month period.

But that doesn't apply in your situation.

Let me know if you need further clarification.

Thanks very much for the rating.

Please take the time to participate in the customer satisfaction survey as that will go into my record with the site.You will be sent an email with the survey in a couple of days.

And feel free to keep my name in case you need me again down the road. You can always put my name into the subject line the next time you post so that your question will stand out for me and I will answer it just as soon as I can.

Thanks and take good care!