Daniel Freudman, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
70961067

When is a "Company" allowed to withhold paying an independent

When is a "Company" allowed to withhold paying an independent contractor if the independent contractor owes money to "The Company"?

Technically, the independant contractor could still claim the money from the company. However, from a practical standpoint, the company would just counterclaim against the contractor for the money they are owed, so they two amounts would likely partially (or entirely) set off each other.

So, if the contractor has performed the work, he is entitled to the payment and the company can't just refuse to pay him lest they expose themselves to a lawsuit. But, if such lawsuit takes place, the company could (counter)claim against the contractor the money which they are owed.

Hopefully that is of assistance.

If you are satisfied with my answer, please provide me with a positive rating so I can receive payment. Thank you.

DISCLAIMER: My communication is general legal information only and is not intended to be relied upon. This information is not legal advice, nor is it a substitute for such, and if you are seeking legal advice then it is recommended that you retain an attorney. There is no guarantee as to the accuracy of this information, nor shall I be held liable for any claim, demand or damages, actual or consequential, of any kind or nature, known or unknown, arising out of or in any way connected to this information or the issue it pertains to. No solicitor-client relationship has been created by this communication.