Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

Good afternoon, Our family has a cabin in BC for the past

Good afternoon,
Our family has a cabin in BC for the past 44 years. It was purchased by my parents then and my father passed away in 1989. In 1998 I was added to the title, to insure that it stayed in the family and to help my mother with the annual costs and upkeep, which I have been doing. My sister wishes to place a fifth wheel trailer on the property all year round, so she and her family can come and go and not have pull their regular trailer each time they wish to go out. My mother is 91 now and wishes that the property passes to me only. She has also had a lawyer draft a letter to insure her wishes are in writing. Is there any possibility that having a trailer there, could I loose some part of ownership or can they assume some sence of ownership.
Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

There is no basis in law for them to assume they get an interest in the cabin because they are permitted to park something on the property.

So as long as you are on title as a joint -tenant with your mother, the property will pass to you at her death and not form part of the estate.

The letter will help you sister realize that this was your mother's intention.

The trailer is not relevant to ownership rights.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.

Thanks very much for the rating.

Please take the time to participate in the customer satisfaction survey as that will go into my record with the site.You will be sent an email with the survey in a couple of days.

And feel free to keep my name in case you need me again down the road. You can always put my name into the subject line the next time you post so that your question will stand out for me and I will answer it just as soon as I can.

Thanks and take good care!