Law.Hut, Lawyer
Experience:  with over 15 years experience.

As a senior I am receiving a supplement and am about to get

As a senior I am receiving a supplement and am about to get married again but in doing so is there any way that we can continue to receive these monies as my future husband although he has enough monies coming from his work pensions there certainly won't be very much left over and I do have medical expences which cannot be covered by his medical.

Do you mean federal government old age security supplement?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes I do

If you marry, you are required to advise the federal government as the supplement rligibitu is determined base on combine income of you and your spouse. If you will together be over the maximum income then you will lose the supplement. It is asked only on income and your medical expenses will not be a factor. So if your combined incomes are over the maximum amount to qualify for the supplement, then no, there is not a way to legitimately keep receiving that supplement.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I understand that the laws have changed in b.c. and that after a certain length of time you are considered common law with all the rights of a marriage. In this case does the financial also change? If so then I would rather be married.

It is correct that the laws recently changed and now common law couples are subject to a division of property on separation just as with legally married couples. And as far as the supplement is concerned, the government so considers income of a common law spouse, not just one that is legally married. So there is no practical difference now between common law and legally married couples in the province.