Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I paid a worker out of my pocket for a few month and now Service

Customer Question

I paid a worker out of my pocket for a few month and now Service Canada is calling me in this regard. There is not record of it beside the printed sheets from the online calculator. what are my options if any?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

Are you saying you paid this employee cash, essentially under the table?

Why is Service Canada involved at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

this person work for me while she had her work permit, but later this person was not able to work till permit renewed, so while waiting for permit the last 3 moth i paid myself to pay her cash, so this person now want employment insurance but never apply and is wanting to claim the cash pay.

Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
She is facing deportment.

She worked illegally and now wants to collect EI!!

She is going to be her own worst enemy.

You also committed several offence as you employed a worker illegally and failed to collect EI and CPP and taxes etc.

I suggest you make it clear as to what she is doing to herself and perhaps she will withdraw her claim?
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience: Lawyer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I would like to know what could be my penalties for the offences

Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
You would be fined.

I don't think it would go any where beyond that.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
Thanks very much for the rating.

Please take the time to participate in the customer satisfaction survey as that will go into my record with the site.You will be sent an email with the survey in a couple of days.

And feel free to keep my name in case you need me again down the road. You can always put my name into the subject line the next time you post so that your question will stand out for me and I will answer it just as soon as I can.

Thanks and take good care!