Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

Hello. My friend is a Portuguese citizen and arrived to Canada

Customer Question

Hello. My friend is a Portuguese citizen and arrived to Canada this past Wednesday. He is a medical doctor and has a job offer in Montreal. He has applied for a working visa which has not yet arrived. Nevertheless, as an EU citizen he came to Canada and applied for a visitor visa at the gate. Immigration has ceased his passport and intend to deport him even though he will not be working this trip. He is staying with me (a Canadian citizen) and I can financially support him. He has additional supporting documents from the hospital stating he will not begin work until August. Is there anything he/we can do? Why as a EU citizen would he not be permitted a tourist visa?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

Did he have a return ticket?

Did he say he was coming to wait for the permit?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes he has a return ticket booked back to Portugal for August 8th.

When he entered he said he had applied for a work permit but was coming to visit before he had to begin work. The immigration officer said "she doesn't believe him".

So what he has to do in order to convince Canada Immigration is prove that he has strong ties to back home still.

For example, if he owns a home that he is trying to sell he can prove that.

Or if he still has a job back home, that would be good proof as well.

The more ties he can show to back home the better.

But otherwise, he just won't be let in until he has the permit.

It's not about his citizenship. It's about the idea that no one can enter Canada without a permit unless entering as a visitor ans he was not believed to be a visitor.

Does that make sense?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The information was okay (not particularily informative) & i no longer need additional information (it's too late).

If the information was OK then why did you rate me as providing you with poor service.

My stats have just been harmed badly.

If you could re-rate me by providing you with OK service then I won't be penalized or helped. My initial stats will remain the same on the site.