How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Legal Ease Your Own Question

Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 91065
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Legal Ease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am in a rental situation in which i live with the owner of

Customer Question

I am in a rental situation in which i live with the owner of the house. She has asked me to leave the house due to an agrument that we had about a week ago. Today she told me that my damage deposit does not cover even half of the damage i have done to the house. This is shocking to me as i have repainted the basement and even done significant repair to the drywall. She has put the house up for sale and her realtor told her a lot of value has been added becuase of improvments in the basement. I have asked for a list of the "damages" so that we can have them repaired prior to leaving. She told me no and that she will give me the list after i have moved out and there is an inspection done. Does she not have to give me the opportunity to fix any supposed damage before she hires any company to do any work? Thank you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

Did you share a bathroom or kitchen with her?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't share a bathroom with her but we do share the kitchen, although we have our own fridge in the basement. As well she has now removed the lock on the door to the basement and is going down taking pictures of my things being packed even taking pictures of me when not looking. I feel like could be thrown out any second and there is nothing can do about it. just so you are aware the arguement was regarding a dehumidifier she provided to me for the intense humidity in the basement. she came down unplugged it and advised me that she had lent it to her friend for a week. told her it was being used and needed and felt like she should have talked to me about it. I think may have hurt her feelings and she asked me to move out at the end of july because was I being disrespectful. I am so shocked that someone who has never missed rent and was a friend of hers as early as that morning (we went to breakfast that morning) and cleaned up after her and the rest of the house can be treated like this. her father phoned and threatened to have me thrown out in 24 hours at 11 at night. I'm feeling so bullied d completely without rights. I don't understand that.

Expert:  Legal Ease replied 2 years ago.
Because you share the accommodations you are not covered by the Residential Tenancies Act.

That means that the lease is what governs.

But she cannot have you leave if you've already paid rent for July.

And if she does give you back your security deposit then you can sue her in Small Claims Court.

She will have to prove that you caused the damage and also that she paid for the repairs and how much she paid.

So she cannot simply make up numbers or keep your money without proof.

So take photos of the space so you can prove she is being dishonest, if necessary.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Your Expert confirmed everything that I had been told, and didn't want to believe. Thank you for putting my mind at rest. Monika Canada
< Previous | Next >
  • Your Expert confirmed everything that I had been told, and didn't want to believe. Thank you for putting my mind at rest. Monika Canada
  • This has been very helpful. I'm glad to see that lawyers and sites like this exist. Thanks for your help. Mike Halifax, NS
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA

Meet The Experts:

  • Tom B.

    Barrister & Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    23 years in practice
< Last | Next >
  • Tom B.'s Avatar

    Tom B.

    Barrister & Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    23 years in practice
  • LawyerProfessor's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experienced Litigation Lawyer in Ontario since 1999 and NY since 1997
  • B.R. Hart's Avatar

    B.R. Hart


    Satisfied Customers:

    Juris Doctor, Member of the Law Society of Upper Canada
  • Jeremie John Martin's Avatar

    Jeremie John Martin


    Satisfied Customers:

    I'm a bilingual attorney for the province of Quebec who goes to Court often for many clients.
  • Sokkalaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Lawyer in Ontario, Canada
  • CaptanLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I'm a criminal defence lawyer, who assists individuals charged with crimes.
  • Law Maven's Avatar

    Law Maven


    Satisfied Customers:

    Lawyer & Instructor at Algonquin Careers Academy

Related Canada Law Questions