Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I am from B.C and have a question: My parents bought a quarter

I am from B.C and have a question: My parents bought a quarter section of land from their neighbours in 1989, they did not sub-divide the piece where the neighbours lived. They (meaning my parents and the neighbours) made an agreement that the neighbours could live there as long as they wanted. This was taken to a notary public and the neighbours were made life tenants . My parents paid for the land and received the land title. The neighbours have since moved to a nursing home in Alberta, where the woman has passed on already. What does the remaining neighbour, or his children have for rights? And also what rights do my parents have to work on, or live on, that land as they wish?
Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

The remaining neighbour has the right to live there for the rest of his life.

When he dies the life interest ends and then there is no one that has a right to live there. The kids do not inherit the life interest. The life interest is just for the life of those who have the interest.

Your parents can do what they like with their own land so long as it does not interfere with the life interest of the surviving neighbour.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.
Thanks very much for the rating.

Please take the time to participate in the customer satisfaction survey as that will go into my record with the site.You will be sent an email with the survey in a couple of days.

And feel free to keep my name in case you need me again down the road. You can always put my name into the subject line the next time you post so that your question will stand out for me and I will answer it just as soon as I can.

Thanks and take good care!