Copperlaw
Copperlaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired cop. Now a Lawyer. Drug expert, breath tech, negotiator, traffic specialist. Criminal, Family, Civil and more.
38596469

My sister was treated for

Customer Question

My sister was treated for TB about 50+ years ago, and progressively, she's been getting deaf. Presently, she has lost total hearing in one ear, and only has 10% left in the other ear. She's very upset over this, needless to say. I was wondering if a there is anything she can do to get compensation for this loss? We are in New Brunswick, Canada. I hope there's someone out there who can help her, please. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX

Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Copperlaw replied 1 year ago.

Copperlaw :

Hi There

Copperlaw :

Let me start by saying that I am sorry for what your sister has gone through Charlotte.

Copperlaw :

I'm happy to help assist you with your question. When you are asking about compensation, are you looking to find out if you can get compensation from someone with regard to her treatment so many years ago or if she would qualify for some form of government or insurance compensation at this point due to her condition?

Copperlaw :

I look forward to hearing from you so that I may assist you further.

Customer :

Yes, I am. I have noticed on TV that if some people have had past things done, and they get sick later in life, they get some kind of a compensation...but we are not sure how to go about this. Something should be done as she has lost her hearing from that hospital adminstering that drug to her.

Customer :

Are you still there?

Customer :

I do not know if your still there or no, and I am not completely satisfied with what you have given me thus far. Sorry....

Customer :

Sorry, but that was not a %39.00 answer. You only ended with a question...and never really answered what I wanted to know. I am so disappointed, really. Bye for now...will not be using this anymore. :(

Customer :

$39.99 that is...

Expert:  Copperlaw replied 1 year ago.

Hi Charlotte

There are some issues with the chat interface so I have switched the format here to make it easier for us to chat. We're not done with this question until you are satisfied, so rest assured, I'll continue to work with you on this and am happy to do so.

As I had stated, I needed the additional info to assist you and I was awaiting that information so that I could assist you further. There's no need to be disappointed with the service, as we had only just begun to work on your question. You and I will get through this and we'll figure things out for you.

You mention that she could be compensated as she has lost her hearing from the hospital administering "that" drug to her. I'll need more background on this in order to help you. I have no idea what treatment she underwent over 50 years ago or what has gone on since. Has she been symptom free until the hearing issue? Has a doctor determined that the treatment she received so long ago caused her hearing loss?

It seems that you may be asking about compensation for possible negligence in relation to the treatment she received. This would have to be proven however, that the treatment she received so long ago was in fact negligent, taking into consideration the practices, knowledge and abilities of the time.

Also, there is a two year statute of limitations on civil suits. This limitation period commences from the time that a claim is discovered. So if this hearing issue only arose last year and someone has determined that the treatment was the cause of this development, then this falls within the limitation period.

Please provide some additional background and we will continue chatting.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We don't really have any 'hands on' proof, but we do know that several in this area were treated for TB in that time period and most have lost hearing...if not all of them. I don't know the drug that was administered but sadly, many are suffering from this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This site is charging me again, and I already paid $39.00 last night! Perhaps I'll just let this go...it's all adding up.