Law.Hut
Law.Hut, Lawyer
Experience:  with over 15 years experience.
64292049

we are getting divorced and my husbands name is XXXXX XXXXX the

we are getting divorced and my husbands name is XXXXX XXXXX the title. can i sell and give him his half even if he does not want to sell
Hello:

What province are you in?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ontario
Then no, you cannot sell the family home without either consent of your husband or a court order. Regarding the family home, despite that your name is XXXXX XXXXX title both of you have an equal right to stay in your home unless a judge decides that one of you must move out.

Since both of you have a right to stay in your home, you cannot sublet it, rent it, sell it or mortgage it without the other’s permission.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

there is a settelment. and he has been out of the house for almost a year now. does this change anything

It depends on the terms of the settlement. If you have a signed ageeement in which your husband releases all rights to the home that he may have under the law, then you can sell. Otherwise, you would need his consent or a court order.