Copperlaw
Copperlaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired cop. Now a Lawyer. Drug expert, breath tech, negotiator, traffic specialist. Criminal, Family, Civil and more.
38596469

Some letters that my daughter received from a teacher appeared

Some letters that my daughter received from a teacher appeared in The Saskatoon Star Phoenix yesterday. When my daughter received these letters I handed them over to the School Board who did the investigation and the teacher's certificate was suspended for three years. The ministry told me that it was their duty to hand these letters over to the Star Phoenix as they had applied for these letters through a Freedom of Information request. We are disgusted that the Star Phoenix printed them. Is there anything we can do with this.

Corinne
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Copperlaw replied 1 year ago.

Copperlaw :

Hi There

Copperlaw :

I am sorry that this has happened to you. It sounds like this has been a stressful issue for you for some time.

Copperlaw :

So, from what I understand, your daughter, (not sure her age), received improper personal letters from a teacher. You chose to provide these, for the purpose of an investigation only, to the school board.

Copperlaw :

Were these letters of an inappropriate sexual nature or something similar? Certainly, there would be privacy and protection issues with regard to your daughter.

Copperlaw :

Did you request these letters back from the board at any time?

Copperlaw :

Aside from the board investigation, was there a police investigation conducted? Did the matter ever go to court?

Copperlaw :

Did the Board ever contact you prior to releasing the letters? Did they ever involve you in the Freedom of Information request and review? Did they seek your input or properly investigate and weigh the privacy interests of the child and family?

Copperlaw :

Was there any vetting of the documents before release? By this, I mean was identifying information blacked out or removed to protect your daughter

Copperlaw :

Again, I am sorry that you've had to go through this Corinne. I'm happy to delve into this as much as is necessary so that we can answer all of your questions and determine what the next steps should be for you.

Copperlaw :

I look forward to hearing from you so that we can chat further

Copperlaw, Lawyer
Experience: Retired cop. Now a Lawyer. Drug expert, breath tech, negotiator, traffic specialist. Criminal, Family, Civil and more.
Expert:  Copperlaw replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry I was unable to reply earlier.

My daughter was 16 going on 17 when this happened.

The letters indicated that the teacher wanted to have a relationship. There was no sextual content.

I provided these letters to the school Board for the investigation.

I did not request these letters back at any time. I probably should have.

I am also an employee of the school board. I assumed they would look after my best interests.

The letters went to the Ministry who looks after teachers they are the ones that sent them to the Star Phoenix. Are you able to go to their web site an d view the information? There was no court, I was told that he got a three year suspension of his teaching certificate. The Board never contacted me regarding releasing this information. I was told by the ministry that it was their duty under the Freedom of Informatiion to release this information. All the names in the paper were whited out. But all the people who read the information can put two an two together and know its my daughter. This happened it 2011 over the Easter Break when students came back to work after a week off the teacher was gone. He had went on sick leave and then the school board told me they would do the invetigation on this. He resigned at the end of the school year and then his certificate was suspended after that for unprofessional misconduct..

I'm not sure what to do, I need to do something for my daughter, these letters were printed no one included or asked me if they could be. I was so upset reading them.

I guess I want to know that the School Board, Ministry and the Sask Teachers did everything legal by releasing these documents. I want to know if I have some kind of a case? Should they not have asked my to release these documents. Where was the Freedom of Information release on this?

I hope I have given you enough information.

Corinne