How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Ease Your Own Question
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 95564
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Legal Ease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

This question is for Debra Thal related to Canada Law: Recently

This answer was rated:

This question is for Debra Thal related to Canada Law:
Recently this week I rebuilt a transmission on a vehicle for an individual who has agreed to repay me by Thursday (yesterday).I work at a transmission shop.However, this individual has not come up with the balance of payment ($800.00).I have left messages on her cellphone to contact me and i have not had a response from her.Obviously, she is screening the calls through call display and is not returning my calls.I have already spoken to her husband who has agreed to help her out financially but i noticed he is also not returning my calls.
As far as documentation is concerned, i have it in writing her agreement to repay me by said time and her signature.I am thinking of pursuing this matter in small claims court but is there an alternative in recovering this money?
Thank you for your assistance.
Does she have the car?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, she already has the vehicle.There were no 'forward gears' ,only reverse gear and drives very well.Thanks for responding.

There really is no way to compel her to pay without suing her in Small Claims Court.

I suggest that you send her a letter by Registered Mail and in the letter give her a deadline for paying you.

Tell her that if she fails to comply you will commence legal proceedings and will then be seeking interest and your costs.

Then if she doesn't pay you, you can sue her and self-represent.

If it gets that far and you find you need some help as you go through the process you can always post on this site again and I can assist you further.

For now, let me know if you need any further clarification.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is she obligated to sign for receipt of registered mail since she will know who it's coming from or can i send to her email address?
I received a initial deposit of $800.00 for the repair via interac e-transfer hence i am aware of her email address.
Thank you for your advice.

You can send her both or even one by regular mail too.

It's not really relevant whether she gets the letter.

When you serve her she has to be served personally or you will need to get an order for substitute service.

I can explain that more later on if you need that.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If i use the services of a Paralegal, would they be responsible for serving the letter personally and would i be better off as compared to sending a 'registered letter'?
I am trying to do this more effectively and without resorting to small claims which would only delay the process.


You don't need to pay a paralegal.

You can send the demand letter yourself.

Then if necessary you would sue and self-represent.

The paralegal will make it not worth your while to proceed.
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 95564
Experience: Lawyer
Legal Ease and other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for providing me with legal information.I will also add you as my favorite lawyer and will definitely give you a positive rating.

Thanks very much for the rating.

Please take the time to participate in the customer satisfaction survey as that will go into my record with the site.You will be sent an email with the survey in a couple of days.

And feel free to keep my name in case you need me again down the road. You can always put my name into the subject line the next time you post so that your question will stand out for me and I will answer it just as soon as I can.

Thanks and take good care!

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Your Expert confirmed everything that I had been told, and didn't want to believe. Thank you for putting my mind at rest. Monika Canada
< Previous | Next >
  • Your Expert confirmed everything that I had been told, and didn't want to believe. Thank you for putting my mind at rest. Monika Canada
  • This has been very helpful. I'm glad to see that lawyers and sites like this exist. Thanks for your help. Mike Halifax, NS
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA

Meet The Experts:

  • Tom B.

    Tom B.

    Barrister & Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years in practice
< Last | Next >
  • Tom B.'s Avatar

    Tom B.

    Barrister & Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years in practice
  • LawyerProfessor's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experienced Litigation Lawyer in Ontario since 1999 and NY since 1997
  • B.R. Hart's Avatar

    B.R. Hart


    Satisfied Customers:

    Juris Doctor, Member of the Law Society of Upper Canada
  • Jeremie John Martin's Avatar

    Jeremie John Martin


    Satisfied Customers:

    I'm a bilingual attorney for the province of Quebec who goes to Court often for many clients.
  • Sokkalaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Lawyer in Ontario, Canada
  • CaptanLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I'm a criminal defence lawyer, who assists individuals charged with crimes.
  • Law Maven's Avatar

    Law Maven


    Satisfied Customers:

    Lawyer & Instructor at Algonquin Careers Academy