Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

can i sell my property without the consent of the co-ownwer

can i sell my property without the consent of the co-ownwer who lives in the united states.
Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

If the person's name is XXXXX XXXXX then you cannot sell the property without his/her consent anymore than she/he can without your consent.

If you need to sell the property and the co-owner will not consent then you may need to get a Court Order for the sale of the property.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

we are in the mix of a divorve and his name is not on the title. can i sell the house and give him his half even if he does not want to sell it

No

You cannot.

In Ontario he has to sign off as this is the matrimonial home.
Thanks very much for the rating.

Please take the time to participate in the customer satisfaction survey as that will go into my record with the site.You will be sent an email with the survey in a couple of days.

And feel free to keep my name in case you need me again down the road. You can always put my name into the subject line the next time you post so that your question will stand out for me and I will answer it just as soon as I can.

Thanks and take good care!